Born into a family with a legacy of women fly fishers, Amy fostered a love for the male-dominated sport from an early age. She has fly fished everywhere from the Pyrenees in Spain to the water of Anegada in the British Virgin Islands,to her home watering holes in the Big Blue Wilderness of Colorado. In addition to fly fishing, Amy loves skiing, hiking, backpacking, and regularly climbs mountain summits of 14,000-feet to catch the breathtaking views from above - a natural high that lasts for days she says.
When shes not exploring the great outdoors, Amy is a freelance writer, book author, and elementary school teacher. She and her husband recently published two outdoor adventure books, Top 30 Things to Do in Telluride and Top 30 Things to Do in Durango. She is currently working on her next book, Girlfriend Getaways of the Southwest, a travel guide that catalogs all the great places for adventurous women. Amy's love for travel, writing, and adventure are all connected, and each inspires the other. Through sharing her passion for the outdoors, Amy Becker Williams hopes to inspire women to find a place to get outside, get some exercise, and have some fun! Amy's work has also been published in the Amarillo Globe-News, New Mexico Outdoors, Rocky Mountain Game and Fish, GORP.com and Examiner.com (Getaways Examiner).
In the classroom, Amy uses her love of nature and the outdoors as a way to interest her students in schoolwork. With the help of a fellow teacher, she developed a wellness program for the staff to build an active lifestyle by walking after school, hiking in nearby Palo Duro Canyon, and participating in runs/walks. Shes also a member of Trout Unlimited, a conservation group that concentrates on sustaining wild fish populations, and supports Project Healing Waters by getting veterans out fishing on the water.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
* Traveled and fished in Colorado, Arizona, Spain, France, British Virgin Islands, Canada and more
* Hiked numerous 14,00 foot summits
* Writer for Rocky Mountain Game and Fish, Amarillo Globe News, and Examiner.com as the Dallas Getaways Examiner
* Member of Trout Unlimited, a conservation group that concentrates on taking care of fish and helping wild trout survive
* Member of the Panhandle Professional Writers Association and Texas Outdoors Writers Association
* Catch the rare Rio Grande Cutthroat in The Valle Vidal in northern New Mexico
* Catch the elusive Gila trout in the Gila Wilderness in southern New Mexico
* Catch the roosterfish off the wild coasts of Mexico
* Summit more 14ers
* Try a new sport like cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. (Besides, these two activities just may lead to a quiet little stream in the backwoods…)
* Continue to support Trout Unlimited, her Wellness group at school, and write about her love of travel and the outdoors