2 cups white flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter/oil
1 cup raisins or currants
1 1/2 cups low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup water with 1 packet yeast
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add oil, butter, yogurt, currants. Mix ingredients. Turn dough onto a floured cutting board. Kneed dough for one minute. Shape into a round loaf. Rise for four hours. Cut an X on top, and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Irish Cook Book Recommendations from Chef Jay
- Country Cooking of Ireland by Colman Andrews
- The Irish Kitchen by Bibby White-Lennon
- Culture and Customs of Ireland by Margaret Scanlan
- British and Irish Country Cooking by Tony Schmanling
- The Irish Table by Margaret Johnson
About Chef Jay:
As a wfood and wine author, Chef Jay Kirkman is always looking for healthy ways for families to eat meals together. He is the owner of Star Canyon Entertainment Company-specializing in catering, events, custom cooking, tablescaping and floral design.
Chef Jay is available for bookings at or 220-1553.