AMARILLO -- Amarillo Firefighters were called out Tuesday around 7:21 p.m. to a building fire on the 2700 block of Virginia Circle. $5,000 worth of property loss and $500 of content loss was estimated by officials.
The Fire Department took 18 minutes to get the fire under control and almost 2 hours to get the scene cleared.
Officials say the fire was unintentional and that the multifamily dwelling caught fire due to "Spark, ember or flame from operating equipment". The material contributing most to flame spread was "sawn wood". The use, or purpose of the contributing material was "structural member or framing". The cause of ignition was unintentional.
Officials say the building was equipped with smoke detectors but batteries missing or disconnected.